This project was by far the one of the most rewarding that
we have had the pleasure of doing. Our clients were great to
work with. We were involved early on so we had a strong insight
into what they really wanted. Even though the existing kitchen
was more than acceptable by most peoples' standards it just didn't
please our clients. In addition, the existing "Family Room"
was too small and in order to get to the Library you had to walk
all the way around the house. In order to install the French
doors the existing full bath and adjacent closet had to be removed.
Since we removed the full bath a new half-bath was to be created
in a hall closet. A budget was established and off we went.
Unfortunately several unforeseen situations developed that pushed
us past the original budget but the final product more than justified
the added costs. For example, when we opened the French door
wall there were about 25 wires in the way. They had to be pulled
all the way up from the electrical panel through the wall and
re-fed around the new door opening. A waste pipe also had to
be removed. When we pulled the existing family room ceiling down
it was then decided to pull the existing kitchen ceiling down
also in order to eliminate the possibility of cracks. After the
entire ceiling was down we could then create a recessed lighting
plan without restrictions. We wound up installing twenty-eight
recessed lights vs. the six that were originally planned.
One regret is not having any real "before" pictures.
The suspicion is that the camera was lost because we distinctly
remember taking them. The same holds true with the completion
pictures with the tile backsplash installed.